Mr. Gielow - High School English
This homepage is general information about my classes.
For active information about daily homework assignments and resources, or even extracurricular opportunities, please click on the following link.
Students return to school on Thursday, September 10. All high school students had summer reading that was assigned on the district homepage. All 9th grade students will be expected to have completed Anthem and one other book of his or her choice on an appropriate reading level. All 10th grade students will be expected to have completed Night and one other book of his or her choice on an appropriate reading level.
- Just a folder for English this year. Many papers and handouts are on-line electronically. No binder will be needed.
- A Chromebook. (Provided)
- Ruled Paper, Pen, Pencil, and Highlighter
- Post-it pads (many) 1.5" x 2" is preferred
- A box of Kleenex to share is appreciated but not required
CLASS RULES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Be on time to class with required materials.
- No personal electronic devices are permitted during my class time. When on Chromebooks, students are expected to remain on assigned webpages.
- Sit in your assigned seat. Maintain social distancing. Wear masks unless directed to take them off by the teacher.
- Complete homework assignments on time. Homework is collected and graded. Late homework will receive a 10% penalty. This penalty does not escalate. Once an assignment has been corrected and returned to students, no additional late papers will be accepted.
- Homework is assigned approximately 4 times a week. This includes written work, reading, and studying for tests and quizzes.
- If you are absent, it is your responsibility to see me upon returning to class for make-up work. All assignments are posted on Google Classroom. Please return from absences with work completed to the best of your ability.
- If you are absent from class due to a music lesson, field trip, or a school appointment, you are still responsible for the homework the next day. You can obtain an assignment from me during my free periods, from my website, or from a reliable classmate.
- Cheating is not tolerated. A zero will be given for any work that reflects cheating or plagiarism, with no opportunity for making up the test/assignment.
- If you skip a class, a zero will be given for any test/assignment for that day.
- Most assignments will only be accepted when typed and submitted electronically. Any handwritten work must be completed in legible pencil, or standard blue or black ink, on straight edged white lined paper.
- No extra credit assignments will be given throughout the year. You must keep up with your assignments.
- Above all else, EVERYONE IN THIS ROOM WILL TREAT EACH OTHER WITH RESPECT AND COURTESY.
- Students are expected to take a serious approach to their studies.
- Effort is expected on all assignments.
- Students are expected to be punctually present on a daily basis. NO EXCUSES!
Grades are posted to Parent Portal every two to three weeks. There will be 5 and 10 week reports. Grading for this course consists of homework, classwork, quizzes, major assessments. All assignments are assigned numeric grades and will be averaged together.