The Starpoint Central School District is pleased to offer a Universal Pre-Kindergarten (UPK) program during the 2023-24 school year. UPK is a special program funded by the New York State Education Department to provide an early learning experience for the children of eligible families. Starpoint is expected to receive funding for 35 children to attend a half-day educational program. Details regarding UPK are listed below.
Here is a brief overview of the UPK program:
- The 2023-24 program is limited to children who turn four years old by December 1, 2023.
- Starpoint CSD partners with two local day care agencies for the program: Bunny Bunch Day Care, on Townline Road in Wheatfield, and Kandyland Kids, on Beach Ridge Road in Lockport.
- The children attend five (5) half-days for two and a half (2.5) hours each day.
- Both day care agencies offer our UPK program in the mornings or the afternoons. The specific time must be worked out between the parent and the agency. Starpoint cannot guarantee parents will receive their preferred choice of location or time.
- The program follows the school district calendar, with 180 days of attendance (September – June).
- Families would be responsible for transportation to and from the local agency.
- The program is grant funded. Starpoint CSD will be using funds allocated by NYS. There is no cost to parents.
- There is limited availability for the program based on grant funding. This funding allows us to enroll 35 students during the 2023-24 school year. If more children apply than there are available slots, the district will hold a random selection process in the form of a lottery.
- Starpoint CSD will be accepting applications for the 2023-24 school year from March 1 to April 28, 2023. This is not a first come, first served process.
- If we receive more than 35 applications, the school district will conduct a random lottery on May 5, 2023 in the Board of Education Conference Room at 8:30 a.m. to determine which children will participate. All completed applications received by April 29, 2022 will be included in the lottery.
- You must be a resident of the district by April 28, 2023 to be included in the lottery.
- Your child must be up-to-date with New York State vaccination requirements (see attachment).
The following documents are required for consideration into the program. All documents and forms must be completed and either mailed or dropped off at the District.
Registration Form (located below)*
Student Health Questionnaire (located below)*
Health Appraisal Form (located below)*
Vaccination records (see NYS Immunization Requirements below)*
Proof of residency (2 current forms of proof are required)
Should you have any questions, please contact the Office of Special Programs at (716) 210-2322.
If you choose to mail the completed application and other forms, please use this address:
Office of Special Programs
Starpoint Central Schools
4363 Mapleton Road
Lockport, NY 14094
Brian P. Farrell
Director of Special Programs