Regents Physics Course Syllabus and Expectations
Instructor: Mr. Dylag
Physics is the study of matter and energy and the interactions between the two. Included in this year’s study of physics are the following major topics:
2. Forces/ Friction
3. Rotational Motion
4. Projectile Motion
7. Work, Power
11. Static Electricity
12. Electric and Magnetic Fields
14. Modern Physics
A note about physics:
Physics is a challenging subject, it is not expected that you understand everything the first time, but it is expected that you will work incredibly hard to achieve an understanding of the material. The nature of physics also offers the opportunity to be creative and learn an entirely new way of thinking.
Classroom Rules and Expectations:
1. Be on time. There will usually be something on the board at the beginning of class for you to “do now”. Attendance is taken at the beginning of class. One minute late is not okay.
2. Always follow safety procedures in the lab. If something looks or feels wrong, stop and come get me.
3. Respect: (cell phones)
4. High expectations, all students can find a level of success in physics.
5. There is no such word as can’t
1. Create a positive learning environment.
2. Achieve mastery on the Regents exam.
3. Be prepared for college physics, or to be part of a scientifically literate society.
Procedures and Grading:
1. Come to class with the following:
a. Pencil or pen
b. Graphing or scientific calculator. Please find or purchase a graphing or scientific calculator as soon as possible.
c. High quality spiral notebook and binder
2. Homework is due at the beginning of class. I accept late work.
a. All homework not handed in at the beginning of class or when I ask for it is considered late and loses 20% until the end of the DAY
b. All homework late after the first day is graded down from a 65%.
3. If you are absent for any reason you are still responsible for any and all missed work. It is your responsibility to meet with me to schedule time to make up lost work or lost lessons.
Your work is your own. Working with another student is encouraged, copying is discouraged. Your paper should never change hands to another person. Have a friend explain how they did it, but do not copy their work. Lab reports will use turnitin.com and will run through a filter of the internet and all labs past students have handed in.
If you are suspected or caught copying, a zero will be given. If you wish to dispute the zero, please schedule a conference with me.
1. The district strike policy will be followed. Please email me for more information on the strike policy if needed.
ALL LABS MUST BE TURNED IN TO BE ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE REGENTS EXAM. Failing labs must be edited and turned in to receive completion credit.
2. Labs may require a full write up. The format will be discussed during one of the first lab periods. There is approximately one full write up per quarter.
3. Academic honesty is stressed in lab write-ups. Please make all work your own. You and your partner are to process data on different computers even if it is the same data.
Tests/ Quizzes 55%
A note from the teacher:
My office hours are almost every day. I will stay late. No extra credit, bonus points are built into assignments.