ELA 9 SYLLABUS
During this academic year, students will conduct frequent in-depth examinations of literature, and will practice extensive self and peer evaluations in order to improve already developed skills. Included in this process, students will be afforded several opportunities to improve writing skills via practice, self and peer editing.
UNITS OF STUDY
The following represent major texts and/or units we will cover this year:
- Summer Reading (Anthem by Ayn Rand)
- Greek Mythology
- Homeric Epics (The Odyssey and The Iliad)
- Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare
- The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
- Short Stories
- Chromebook (school-issued)
- A 3-ring binders (1-inch or more)
- Tab dividers
- Notebook for journaling
- Post-it notes
- Pens and/or pencils
- Highlighters (2 different colors)
You will have many opportunities to earn points as you demonstrate your knowledge of the various units we will cover in the course. All grades are weighted on a point system. Here are examples of how many points a typical assignment might carry:
- Homework 10 to 20
- Classwork 10 to 20
- Quizzes 10 to 30
- Writing 10 to 100
- Tests 40 to 100
MAKE-UP & ABSENT WORK
- If absent, students should check Google Classroom for any activities and assignments.
- Upon returning to school, paper copies of missed work can be picked up from the bins on the side counter.
- If a student missed a test or quiz, they should expect to take any missing tests or quizzes during 10th period. Please see me to make arrangements.
- Homework may look different from week to week, unit to unit.
- Often, homework will be a reading assignment.
- Other homework assignments will be vocabulary, review, written pieces, etc.
- Some assignments will be collected and others will be reviewed in class.
- Late homework will only be accepted for two days after the original due date.
- Late work will not be accepted if we go over the assignment in class.
- 1st day late = 10% off
- 2nd day late = 50% off
- 3rd day late = Zero
CLASS RULES & POLICIES
- Come to class on time. You must be in your seat when the bell rings.
- Be prepared for class.
- Do not pack up materials or line up at the door prior to the end of class.
- I will not give out bathroom passes unless it is a true emergency. Even if it is an emergency, please ask at an appropriate time.
- Do not use electronic devices during class unless advised by the teacher. Please keep these items off and out of sight. If I see them, you will be written up.
- Cheating is not tolerated. A zero will be given for any work that reflects cheating or plagiarism, with no opportunity for making up the test/assignment. Administration will also be informed of this act.
- If you are copying for another class, I will take your work and inform that teacher.
- Written assignments will be turned in on turnitin.com.
- Show respect to everyone in the class.
- Give your best effort at all times, and you will be successful in this course!
English 9 students will be introduced to the Starpoint High School’s independent reading program, fREADom. Students will read grade-level appropriate texts of their choice throughout the year. We will devote one day of each full week to reading these texts independently and completing corresponding writing assignments.
In addition to our daily in-class instruction, we will be utilizing Google Classroom. It is your responsibility to stay up-to-date with assignments, announcements, and due dates that are communicated during class and on Google Classroom.